Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Collard Greens

Growing up I never took on a liking for "green" anything! As I slowly got older, I was introduced to collard greens when a friend took me to a BBQ "joint" back home (Anderson, Indiana). I think the place was called Jes Right at the time...Oh I probably botched the name but it was some good eatin! I don't think the place is in business anymore or it changed hands and goes by something different.

They had the BEST rib tips, mac n cheese, heavenly cornbread and their COLLARD GREENS...Oh my gosh out of this world!

So that was the beginning of my love for collard greens and my attempt to make them myself...and taste just as good as that bbq joint.

I have enjoyed greens here in the Champaign-Urbana area. The best so far have been a place called Seaboat. Dribble a bit of hot sauce on their greens and you are transported to heaven!

Here is my closest attempt to making greens that could stand up to the best I have had.

Collard Greens

Ingredients
3 T olive or grape seed oil
2 med onions chopped
4 garlic cloves chopped
2 smoked turkey wings*
2 quarts of chicken stock
1/3 c apple cider vinegar
1/4 c balsamic vinegar
2 T white sugar
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
24 oz of collards chopped




Directions
In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, heat up oil and cook onion to where it begins to brown. Add garlic at this point.

Add smoked turkey wings, chicken stock, vinegars, sugar and
pepper flakes.

Bring to a boil then add collard greens. Return to boil and the reduce heat and cover pot. Gently boil for 45min to an hour.

Remove the turkey wings and cut meat off and return the meat to the greens in the pot.

Enjoy. I must confess, I could probably eat the whole pot. But not sure my stomach would be happy with me.

*You can substitute ham hocks for the smoked turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment