Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Garden Vegetable Salad

When I was younger, I had the pleasure of working at the local golf course back home. I started out working in the pro shop as an assistant then I moved into helping out with junior golf instruction. After going off to college and returning home, I enjoyed the golf course atmosphere so much that I decided to keep working there during the Spring, Summer and Fall.

While working there, I had the pleasure of helping out in the restaurant. I learned a lot of delicious recipes and learned a few tips here and there. One recipe that I remember making for banquets was a salad that originally was called Cauliflower salad. I have since switched out some of the ingredients. That isn't to say the original wasn't terrific.

Here is my version of the Cauliflower Salad that is now called...

Garden Vegetable Salad

Ingredients

1 head of cauliflower broken into florets
1 head of broccoli broken into florets
1 yellow bell pepper chopped
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
1/2 a sweet onion chopped (you can substitute green spring onions approx 6)
1 c of frozen peas
5 strips of bacon cooked and crumbled (optional)
1/2 c of shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
1 1/2 c of light mayo
1/2 c grated parmesan cheese
1/8 c white sugar
dash of pepper
4 T red wine vinegar (I use pomegranate infused red wine vinegar- adds a fruity background flavor)

Directions

In a large bowl (you will need a large bowl trust me)  toss all your veggies and added optional bacon and cheese.

In a medium bowl, mix together mayo, parmesan cheese, sugar and vinegar.

Now toss the dressing mixture in with the veggies and chill for about 30 minutes before serving. As the salad sits, it will marinate even more.

I must confess, I could eat a huge bowl of this tasty goodness. Sure the dressing could probably be modified to something more healthy but I like it.

Back in the day at the restaurant, they used to add chopped lettuce to the mixture as well. I find that if this sits for too long the lettuce gets really mushy.

No comments:

Post a Comment