Friday, June 6, 2014

Rhubarb Custard Pie...Oh my!

Having truly not made a point in being a rhubarb fan, the only time I ever tasted it was in strawberry rhubarb jam. Knowing that my dad enjoys rhubarb, I wanted to make him something special for father's day (early).

I had a great friend, Jerry Carden, share with me his late Swedish Grandmother's Rhubarb Custard pie recipe. I am always game to try making something new. I also thought this was the perfect opportunity to actually try tasting something out of my comfort zone.

Much to my surprise, it was actually tasty. The recipe is definitely a keeper in my book. I also heard this morning that my dad decided to have a late night snack last night. You guessed it...a piece of rhubarb custard pie!


Rhubarb Custard Pie

 Ingredients-
4 c rhubarb, cut up (I diced mine up)
1 c white sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
4 T flour
Pinch of salt
10 inch pie shell
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 1/4 c cream or milk (I used half n half)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
 Butter (to dollop on top)

Directions-
Place rhubarb in pie shell. Cream eggs, flour and sugar. Add cream or milk, salt and spices. Dot top with butter. Bake at 350 degrees F.  for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until custard is set. 

Apparently today I found out it is good with ice cream per Jerry's email. Refrigerate any of the pie that isn't devoured. 

I have to confess, I might put a little tweak on this recipe and create a crumble for the top. Hope you take a step into the uncomfortable zone and try this pie even if you don't like rhubarb.

Enjoy.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment