Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Basic Biscuits

Ever start dreaming of a nice bowl of sausage or hamburger gravy and biscuit only to find yourself not having a handy tube of ready to bake biscuits in the fridge?

Well that is where I found myself a couple of Sunday mornings ago. I then remembered running across a recipe of my Grandma Dunham's for Baking Powder Biscuits. There weren't any directions just ingredients. Luckily I am familiar to the concept of making biscuits. I was psyched.

Basic Biscuits


Ingredients:

2 c flour
3/4 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
4 T. Shortening (I used cold cubed butter)
3/4 c. milk

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Then cut in with either a fork or pastry blender the butter. Add the milk once you see the butter is in blended into the flour mixture and is about the size of tiny peas.

Roll out your dough onto a floured surface and lightly work it (knead it) a few times. Roll dough or press dough to a thickness of 1/2 inch and use your biscuit cutter or I must confess I couldn't find mine so I used a small juice glass to cut out my biscuits.

This will make 6 biscuits. Place on a greased cookie sheet or parchment lined cookie sheet. You can brush the tops with a little melted butter but I didn't for this batch.

Bake for 12 minutes.

They should have nice layers due to using the cold butter.

Tip- don't over work your dough. It will cause the butter to soften before you get into oven to bake. If you think you over worked dough, wrap it plastic wrap in a disc shape and refrigerate for 30 minutes and then roll out and cut the biscuits and bake.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment