Monday, October 7, 2013

Apple Crisp with a twist

I don't know about you, but I love the extra time on the weekends to sit and scroll through the enormous pins on Pinterest. That site is so addicting. It is no wonder why many businesses block that site from their employees from their work computers.

Well I woke up Sunday morning and made my husband his coffee. While waiting for it to brew I glanced over to see I had a bowl of apples just screaming for attention. I didn't have anything planned for breakfast yet so the first thing that popped into my head was apple crisp. It would be nice and warm on this crisp (no pun intended) morning.

I went to the pantry and was disappointed that I didn't have any oats on hand. I did however have some shredded mini wheat cereal. Oh that would add quite the crunch factor and my little boy loves all things crunchy. I searched the internet for recipes that might actually use shredded wheat or like there of for a crisp. There were a few to my surprise. So why not give it a shot I thought.

Here is my take on Apple Crisp using shredded wheat for topping.



Apple Crisp

Ingredients
5-6 c peeled apple slice
1/2 c packed light brown sugar (divided)
2 T lemon juice
1 1/2 T tapioca (you can substitute cornstarch)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 c. Shredded Mini Wheat Cereal (finely crushed)
1/4 c (1/2 stick of butter) melted (you can use more if your mixture is still too dry)

Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  • Mix apples, 1/4 c brown sugar, lemon juice, tapioca and cinnamon in a large bowl. Set to the side for 5-10 minutes
  • Now for the topping, take crushed cereal (I crushed it by putting it in a ziploc baggy and crushing it my hand (rolling pin will work too), remaining 1/4 c brown sugar and butter and mix well until it is blended.
  • Pour apples into a non-greased 1 1/2 quart (I even used at 9x 13 baking dish and it worked). Sprinkle the apple mixture with the cereal topping.
  • Bake for 40-45 minutes until topping is browned and apples are nice and tender.

This is really best when still warm in temperature but if you need to store it, but in a covered container in the fridge and warm up later in the microwave. This would truly be delicious with ice cream on top but since I was serving it for breakfast, I didn't want my 2 year old to think it was okay to have ice cream for breakfast.

My little confession though... if I was the only one home, I would have had it with ice cream!

Hope you take the time to make this and share with the ones you love.

-Michelle
 


No comments:

Post a Comment