Black Forest TrifleIngredients
2 pkg. chocolate fudge brownie mix (plus ingredients to make each batch)
2 regular size candy bars milk chocolate
1 can (30 oz) cherry pie filling
1 tsp. almond extract
1/2 cup cranberry cherry juice ( you can omit if you don't have this...I find it makes the cherry mixture too thin).
2 cups cold milk
2 pkgs. (3.3 oz.) white chocolate instant pudding and pie filling
1 container (8 oz.) frozen whipped topping thawed
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut two 8 1/2 square parchment paper squares and lay each in bottom of two square baking pans. Prepare brownie mix according to package, spread over bottom of the two baking pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center come out clean. cool completely. You can also just mix up both box mixes and bake in a 9 x 13 pan.
2. Loosen brownies from sides of the baking pans and invert brownies onto cutting board. Cut brownies into 1 inch cubes set aside.Chop 1 1/2 of chocolate bars. Reserve remaining chocolate for garnishing.
3. Combine cherry pie filling and almond extract in small bowl, remove 1/2 cup for garnishing and set aside. Stir the cranberry cherry juice into cherry pie filling that contains the almond extract.
4. In a medium bowl, pour milk and whisk in pudding mixes until mixture begins to thicken. Fold in whipped topping.
5. To assemble trifle, place half of the brownies in bottom of a trifle bowl. Layer half of the cherry pie filling mixture evenly over brownie cubes. Sprinkle with half of the chopped chocolate; top with half of the pudding mixture, pressing lightly and repeat the layers.
6. Garnish top of trifle with reserved cherry pie filling and chocolate curls made with reserved chocolate. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
* You can substitute devils food cake or your favorite chocolate cake for the brownies. I just enjoy the gooey brownies over devils food cake. Make the trifle your own and tweak it to your liking.
A little confession I have to make... When I have made this dessert for get togethers, I have doubled the cherry mixture and kept it in the fridge to have it as a snack with the whipped topping just so I could make sure I have a good taste of it if I didn't get any at the get together.
Life is too short...Eat Dessert First!